Re: Fwd: GBX files and cache

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:
GBX files and cache
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:54:44 -0400
From:
Robert B. Schmunk <address@hidden>
To:
John Caron <address@hidden>

John,

On the webpage at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/Caching.html

there is a statement that

   In 4.0, the cache policy for GRIB indexes is set seperately from
   generic DiskCache, in order to give you seperate control:

   GribServiceProvider.setIndexAlwaysInCache( true); // always use the cache
 for grib index

Robert,

 GribServiceProvider.setIndexAlwaysInCache( true) did not work because
 GribServiceProvider is deprecated, you should be using:

 GribGridServiceProvider()  so use

 GribGridServiceProvider.setIndexAlwaysInCache( true );

 In the CDM, all classes in iosp/grib have been deprecated except
GribGridServiceProvider, GribBinaryIndexer, and Grib2Netcdf. The deprecated grib classes can be found in the iosp/grid directory. In TDS 4.2 the deprecated classes will be removed.

I will fix the documentation on the web and in the repository.

Robb...

I have tried using this in my Panoply app, and found that this does
not seem to work at all. The GBX files continue to be written in the
same directory as the original GRIB file. Is there a bug in NJ4, or
am I missing something in how this is supposed to work? I have tried
using this with and without applying DiskCache.setCachePolicy and
DiskCache.setRootDirectory.

rbs

--
Robert B. Schmunk, address@hidden
NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, 2880 Broadway, New York, NY 10025