[netCDF #KWO-578061]: Error reading large netCDF files through WRF 3.2

Hi Eran,

Sorry to have taken so long to address your support question.

> We are trying to run WRF 3.2 in windows. We downloaded netCDF sources from
> here[1] and compiled it following instructions here[2]. Then we downloaded
> WRF 3.2 and compiled with large file support enabled, following instructions
> here[3]. All the compilations were done using PGI compilers.
> But when we execute WRF with files larger than 2GB, we get this[4] error in
> the WRF output. See the highlighted section. Even though this error trace is
> from mpi, the same error happens without MPI too. The wrf code in the given
> line is trying to open a netCDF using NF_Open and the exact code is
> here[5].

The error you are seeing
  *  NetCDF error: Result too large*
is not a netCDF error, it must be coming from the wrfio library.  They
must be reinterpreting a netCDF error code and producing the "Result
too large" error message, and I'm not sure what the means (result of
what?).

Here are three things you could try to solve the problem.

 1.  Use one of the prebuilt 4.0.1 DLL libraries we provide for
     Windows that include PG Fortran interfaces, as described here:

     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4

     Specifically, try this one:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/win32_vs_PGI_dll_4.0.1.zip

     If that doesn't work, the next thing to try is ...

 2.  ... building from the latest 4.1.1 source, available by
     downloading

        ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.gz

     but instead of following the Portland Group instructions[2], just
     run the configure script under cygwin, using gcc for the compiler
     and pgf90 for the Fortran compiler (the appropriate environment
     variables are CC=gcc, FC=pgf90, and F77=pgf90).  I assume you
     don't need the netCDF-4 HDF5 support for WRF or the C++ inteface
     or the DAP client support, so you could disable those extras and
     just run

       ./configure --disable-netcdf-4 --disable-dap --disable-cxx

     If that succeeds, then run "make check" and "make install", and
     you will have something you can use with WRF.

     If that doesn't work, you can try ...

 3.  ... giving us a remote login on your Windows system, and we will
     try to get the port working, using your PG compilers.  This might
     take a day, and we couldn't start on it until late next week at
     the earliest.

--Russ

Ticket ID: KWO-578061
Department: Support netCDF