[netCDF #VWA-170047]: Problems with "make check"/netcdf-4.1.1-rc2 on a 32-bit MacOS 10.5/PPC system

> Hi Ed,
>
> I did have HDF5-1.8.4-patch1 installed, and in fact, I reinstalled
> HDF5-1.8.4-patch1 and NetCDF-4.1.1-rc2 and had the same problem.
>
> This is a bit of a one-off system, because it's a MacOS PPC system,
> making it big endian.

Did you run "make check" for HDF5? If not, do so please.

> Is it possible there's some #ifdef type of code that's checking
> whether you're using MacOS, and
> it's not checking if it's PPC or Intel?  This might cause a problem if
> so.

Nope. The autoconf/automake system takes care of all this by testing each
needed feature on the target platform, rather then depending on some
pre-defined knowledge of the different platforms.

> I suppose the problem could be on the HDF5-1.8.4-patch1 end too.
>
> --Mary
>

> On Mar 30, 2010, at 2:09 PM, Unidata netCDF Support wrote:
>

> >> [Hopefully these tests are helping out rather than annoying people.]
> >>

> > Howdy Mary!
> >
> > Test results are never, ever annoying! I love them. Thanks for
> > sending them.
> >
> >> I built netcdf-4.1.1-rc2 on a 32-bit PPC MacOS 10.5 system.
> >>
> >> It failed in a different place than my other systems, so I thought
> >> I'd
> >> include the files here.
> >> It seemed to have only failed in one place:
> >>
> >> *** Checking HDF5 dimension scales.
> >> *** Creating simple dimension scales file, with scale detach...Sorry!
> >> Unexpected result, tst_h_dimscales1.c, line: 70
> >> 1 failures
> >> 1 errors detected! Sorry!
> >> FAIL: tst_h_dimscales1

The line that's failing is trying to open the HDF5 dataset with a H5Dopen call.
If that doesn't work, netcdf-4 sure is not going to work.

So run the HDF5 make check and we'll see if this is a HDF5 problem or a netCDF
problem.

BTW I have been fixing minor memory and configuration bugs for the last few
days. You might want to get the latest snapshot release...

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: VWA-170047
Department: Support netCDF