[netCDF #BFN-873438]: NetCDF 4.1.1-rc1

Hi Felipe,

> Thank you for your prompt reply. We have managed to compile this release for
> Windows (it was not easy). We have some netcdf files (with compound types)
> which crash ncdump-compiled-for-windows whereas ncdump-compiled-for-Linux
> works. Since there was some creativity on my side to produce a config.h for
> the Windows build, I am unsure as to where this is a problem of my build or
> a bug in ncdump.

I don't have access to an ncdump-compiled-for-Windows yet, but I will try your
file as soon as I can.  By the way, I noticed that the Portland Group just made
available instructions for compiling netCDF-4.0.1 for Windows, without cygwin,
using their pgcc and pgfortran version 2010 compilers, so it's possible some
of the changes they found necessary were also what you discovered, since several
of their changes were ncdump-related modifications:

  http://www.pgroup.com/resources/netcdf/netcdf40_pgi2010_win.htm

--Russ

> I am attaching the file to this email in case you are able and willing to do
> some tests on your side. The file is short. It has been generated with
> netcdf-4.1.1-rc1 for windows as explained above. I can confirm that
> ncdump-4.1.1-rc1 for Linux produces the right output (I have checked every
> field against its expected value), all the time. However, ncdump-4.1.1-rc1
> for windows segfaults randomly (that is, using the _same_ file as input, it
> segfaults 99% of the times, but every once in a while it will work well and
> dump the same information as the Linux version). I also observed this random
> behaviour in the previous ncdump-4.1-rc1 for windows.
>
> Unrelated to the above, it seems that the files are not backward compatible
> with ncdump-4.1-rc, at least as far as compounds are concerned.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Felipe
>
> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi Felipe,
> >
> > > I have downloaded NetCDF 4.1.1-rc1 and tried to compile it for Windows
> > but
> > > found that the "win32" folder with the Visual Studio project is gone from
> > > this release.
> > >
> > > ¿Are you dropping support for Visual Studio and/or Microsoft Windows?
> >
> > No, but we will provide Windows support after 4.1.1 is released.  It is a
> > high priority,
> > but we don't want to delay 4.1.1 any longer while we fix Windows support.
> >  We
> > appreciate your patience.
> >
> > --Russ
> >
> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: BFN-873438
> > Department: Support netCDF