[netCDF #ULD-548860]: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF installation issues

Hi Jenny,

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your question.

> I'm having trouble installing/using NetCDF, and having looked at the website
> I hope I've picked the right mailing list. Sorry if I'm sending this in
> error.
>
> I have a macbook pro and I'm new to compiling. I am trying to install NetCDF
> to use with a modelling program called FVCOM, which I also have to compile.
> I had compiled fvcom fine but then realised I needed NetCDF libraries
> installed. On my first attempt to install NetCDF, 'configure' produced this
> error:
>
> *checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"...
> configure: error: Could not link conftestf.o and conftest.o*

This usually indicates a mismatch between the Fortran compiler and the C
compiler
found by the "configure" script.  For example, if you have g95 installed as a
Fortran compiler, and are using the Mac /usr/bin/gcc, you will get this error,
because g95 uses a different convention for calling C functions than is
supported by /usr/bin/gcc.  If you don't specify which Fortran or C compiler to
use with the FC and CC environment variables before invoking the configure
script, the script will just use whatever it can find installed in your PATH.

> and after searching online found that they suggested using this line of
> code instead, if you didn't need fortran installed.
>
> *FC= ./configure*

That says you want to compile with no Fortran compiler, so it will not try
to compile, test, or install the Fortran interface for netCDF.

> as I have already got gfortran installed I thought that would be ok. It
> seemed to work, as after this was typed it compiled and installed fine.
> However, when I tried to compile FVCOM while linking to these libraries, it
> came up with this error:
>
> *Can't open module file 'netcdf.mod' for reading at (1): No such file or
> directory*
>
> And there is indeed no netcdf.mod file in the 'include' directory. I'm not
> sure where to go from here... as it seems to be a NetCDF issue at this point
> I thought here was the best place. I read in an archive something about
> telling NetCDF about the existing gfortran libraries when it configures -
> but I have no idea how to do that. Does anybody know how I fix this?

No netcdf.mod file was installed, because setting FC='' specified that you
didn't want or need a Fortran interface.

For MacOS X, I recommend getting gfortran and a compatible gcc, as we have
tested this combination and it works fine.  You can get them from here, for
example:

  http://hpc.sourceforge.net/

--Russ

Ticket ID: ULD-548860