[netCDF #MWE-246012]: question about opening netCDF files in ArcGIS

Hi Kaiba,

> I'm trying to use some netCDF files in ArcMap and have been having trouble.
> I open the "Make NetCDF Feature Layer" tool from the Toolbox in ArcMap.  I
> navigate to my netCDF file and select it.  I select the variables I'm
> interested in.  I select "longitude" as my x_variable and "latitude" as my
> y_variable.  I click OK and wait for it to process.  It works, but it only
> gives me a single point, even though there should be many points (the data
> is from a global climate model).  I checked the attribute table and that
> confirmed that there is only a single record in the layer.  I have tried
> this several times and with different data sources (all netCDF format) and
> the same thing keeps happening.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?

Yes, I'm not an ArcMap user, but another local user at NCAR, Jennifer Boehnert,
provided the following answer:

 In the Make NetCDF Feature Layer there is an option to set Row
 Dimensions. This tells ArcMap how many columns and how many rows to
 display.

 If Kaiba sets this to longitude and latitude (or x,y)(rows,columns)
 they should see all their points.  You can always direct them to a
 tutorial we have on our website at
 http://www.gis.ucar.edu/tutorials.jsp

I hope that helps.

--Russ