[netCDFJava #KMJ-954554]: What determines GridCoordSystem.XAxis and .YAxis?

If you look at this file in ToolsUI CoordSys tab:

Default Conventions error: NO projection name found
Parsing with Convention = Default
 Coordinate Variable added = y for dimension    y = 689;
 Coordinate Variable added = time for dimension    time = 1;
 Coordinate Variable added = x for dimension    x = 1073;
 CoordinateAxis = latitude added; referenced from var= wind_speed
 CoordinateAxis = longitude added; referenced from var= wind_speed
 Time Coordinate Axis added (unit) = time from unit hours since
2010-03-12T15:00:00Z
 created implicit CoordSystem 'y x' for var= longitude
 assigned implicit CoordSystem 'y x' for var= latitude
 created implicit CoordSystem 'time latitude y longitude x' for var= wind_speed

1) "Parsing with Convention = Default" means you are not using a convention.
2) "No projection name found" means that the projection is not getting found,
so the grid coord system falls back to using the lat/lon coordinates.

It looks like all you need is a global attribute :Conventions="CF-1.4"