[netCDF #SRY-526862]: hdf / netcdf

Hi Chris,

> I was just in the process of building rpm's for hdf & netcdf when I
> noticed the latest bug issue.  Is it safe to use 1.8.4 with netCDF
> 4.0.1?   I only ask because the hdf5 tests for 1.8.3 are failing on
> rhel5, but 1.8.4 is working fine.

No, HDF5-1.8.0 through HDF 1.8.4 all have the problem that a netCDF-4
file written with them containing a variable or group with more than 8
attributes will not be portable between little-endian and big-endian
machines, see:

  http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/release/known_problems/

So using any of those versions with netCDF-4 will pass all tests on a
little-endian machine or a big-endian machine, but writing a file with
any object that has more than 8 attributes on a little-endian machine
and then trying to read it on a big endian machine may cause a
segmentation violation, for example.  To get around this problem, you
will have to build with the HDF-1.8.4-patch1 release, available as the
latest HDF5 download.

--Russ

Ticket ID: SRY-526862
Department: Support netCDF