[netCDF #RUE-876772]: Netcdf/opendap build

Kevin,

> thanks for the info. I thought the 4.1-beta2 was the latest snapshot
> which was why I downloaded this one, but I will download the 4.1-rc1 and
> try this. Out of interest how do you get the latest snapshot, I looked on
> the ftp and web sites.

The latest snapshot is available from the link on the netCDF home page

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/

labeled "netCDF snapshot release", which is not all that easy to see amid
all the links on that page :-).  It points to

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-4-daily.tar.gz

which is actually the latest distribution that built and passed all the tests
successfully on a single Linux reference platform we use here.  So if we've
been introducing new bugs at a very high rate, it may actually be several days
old, until we get them all fixed and get a successful build.

--Russ

> > Hi Kevin,
> >
> >> I have downloaded netcdf-4.1-beta2 and tried to build with the Sun
> >> studio compilers. Configure is:
> >>
> >> configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf-dap --with-curl=/usr/local
> >> --with-szlib=/usr/local/lib --with-zlib=/usr/local/lib
> >> --with-hdf5=/usr/local --with-udunits --enable-ncgen4 --enable-dap
> >> --enable-netcdf-4
> >>
> >> but configure stops with:
> >>
> >> configure: error: This platform does not support long long types. These
> >> are required for netCDF-4
> >>
> >> I've had this problem before when I tried to build an earlier version of
> >> 4.1. To get around this you can configure 64bit but this means curl and
> >> hdf all need to be built 64bit. My attempt at building this before also
> >> failed. This does not happen with version 4.0.1 when I built it and I'd
> >> rather build it 32bit as my curl, hdf, zlib and szlib libraries are all
> >> built 32bit.
> >>
> >> Checking the configure files in 4.0.1 and 4.1 it looks like some changes
> >> where made in this check.
> >
> > Yes, there was a bug in the 4.1-beta2 configure script for Solaris
> > platforms
> > that was fixed in 4.1-rc1 and subsequent releases.  I think the nature of
> > the
> > bug was checking for correct long long arithmetic support in the C
> > preprocessor, when actually the library only requires long long support in
> > the compiler.  The Sun Studio compilers support long long arithmetic even
> > in
> > 32-bit mode, so with 4.1-rc1 and later, you shouldn't get this configure
> > error.
> > With 4.1-rc1 or later, you should be able to build and install a 32-bit
> > version of the netCDF-4 library that will pass all the tests.  (I use a
> > Solaris
> > x86 compiling and testing in 32-bit mode as a default, so I know this
> > works.)
> >
> > Until 4.1.1 is released, I think it would be better to use either 4.1-rc1
> > or
> > the current snapshot.  For 4.1.1, we're waiting for the official release
> > of
> > a patch to HDF5-1.8.4 and the testing that will be necessary with that ...
> >
> > --Russ
> >
> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: RUE-876772
> > Department: Support netCDF