[netCDF #RUE-876772]: Netcdf/opendap build

Hi Kevin,

> I have downloaded netcdf-4.1-beta2 and tried to build with the Sun
> studio compilers. Configure is:
>
> configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf-dap --with-curl=/usr/local
> --with-szlib=/usr/local/lib --with-zlib=/usr/local/lib
> --with-hdf5=/usr/local --with-udunits --enable-ncgen4 --enable-dap
> --enable-netcdf-4
>
> but configure stops with:
>
> configure: error: This platform does not support long long types. These
> are required for netCDF-4
>
> I've had this problem before when I tried to build an earlier version of
> 4.1. To get around this you can configure 64bit but this means curl and
> hdf all need to be built 64bit. My attempt at building this before also
> failed. This does not happen with version 4.0.1 when I built it and I'd
> rather build it 32bit as my curl, hdf, zlib and szlib libraries are all
> built 32bit.
>
> Checking the configure files in 4.0.1 and 4.1 it looks like some changes
> where made in this check.

Yes, there was a bug in the 4.1-beta2 configure script for Solaris platforms
that was fixed in 4.1-rc1 and subsequent releases.  I think the nature of the
bug was checking for correct long long arithmetic support in the C
preprocessor, when actually the library only requires long long support in
the compiler.  The Sun Studio compilers support long long arithmetic even in
32-bit mode, so with 4.1-rc1 and later, you shouldn't get this configure error.
With 4.1-rc1 or later, you should be able to build and install a 32-bit
version of the netCDF-4 library that will pass all the tests.  (I use a Solaris
x86 compiling and testing in 32-bit mode as a default, so I know this works.)

Until 4.1.1 is released, I think it would be better to use either 4.1-rc1 or
the current snapshot.  For 4.1.1, we're waiting for the official release of
a patch to HDF5-1.8.4 and the testing that will be necessary with that ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: RUE-876772
Department: Support netCDF