[netCDFJava #HOJ-653870]: stationTimeSeries with ragged_parent_index

Hi Rich,

Rich wrote:
> I can't get this CDM Point stationTimeSeries  with ragged_parent_index to work
>
> http://coast-enviro.er.usgs.gov/models/share/gsod_point.nc
>
> The coordinate systems seem okay, I can read the coordinate values and
> data values using other tools, but trying to load as Point FeatureType
> in ToolsUI produces this error:   "Table Structure(record):
> lat/lon/time coord not found".
>
> How can I go about diagnosing the problem?

It took me awhile and some stepping through the code to see this one. Two
problems, both very minor:

1) This may be a hold over from an old version of the PointObs spec. Your
dataset has the global attribute

  CF:pointFeature = "stationTimeSeries";

but the netCDF-java code is looking for

  CF:featureType = "stationTimeSeries";

2) Your "stn_name" variables needs the following attribute:

  standard_name="station_id";

The first one is the one that took some time. I don't know the PointObs code
very well but also the error message didn't give much info to go on. I've added
to that error message some info on what feature type it thought it was looking
for ("POINT", the default for this part of ToolsUI). That might help next time.

Anyway, here's the NcML I used to get it working (it includes a change from
"deg_c" to "degC" on a few variables for udunits compatibility):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";
location="gsod_point.nc">

  <attribute name="CF:featureType" value="stationTimeSeries" />
  <variable name="stn_name">
    <attribute name="standard_name" value="station_id" />
  </variable>

  <variable name="temp">
    <attribute name="units" value="degC" />
  </variable>