[netCDF #XYW-598296]: make check fails for netcdf-4.1-snapshot2010020200

Huaiyu,

> It seems that the makefile does not completely honor the "--with-hdf5" option
> of the configuring script. For example, in the make.log and make_check.log
> files I sent before I found that sometimes the libraries under
> /home/hduan/share/lib were used (hdf 1.8.4), sometimes the libraries under
> /usr/lib were used (1.6.6), and sometimes both were used. For example, ncdump
> was linked in the following way:
>
> libtool: link: cc -g -O2 -o .libs/ncdump ncdump.o vardata.o dumplib.o
> indent.o nctime.o  -L/home/hduan/share/lib ../libsrc4/.libs/libnetcdf.so
> /usr/lib/libhdf5_hl.so /usr/lib/libhdf5.so -lpthread
> /home/hduan/share/lib/libhdf5_hl.so /home/hduan/share/lib/libhdf5.so -lm -lz
> -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/hduan/share/lib
>
> It resulted an unusable ncdump because it linked the hdf 1.6.6 first then hdf
> 1.8.4.

Sorry, I may have confused things by my mistake in a previous response, in
which I said you shouldn't have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  This is one situation
where it is necessary to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

  - You have a shared library installation in /usr/lib or some other standard
    location where your system looks for shared libraries
  - You have a different version of the library installed somewhere else,
    which you want to link with

In that case the ld.so dynamic linker will use the installed shared library
unless you have provided the location of the library you want to use instead
in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I had never encountered this situation, because I've
never installed any version of HDF5 in /usr/lib, but once a library is
installed there, it will be used unless you explicitly tell the system to
look somewhere else.

--Russ

> On Feb 4, 2010, at 7:27 AM, Huaiyu Duan wrote:
>
> > Ed,
> >
> > I don't know why you think that I didn't specify the HDF5 path. The first
> > line of "configure.log" in my first email is the command I used:
> > "/configure --prefix=$HOME/share --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=$HOME/share
> > --enable-shared  &> configure.log". Later the configure script correctly
> > found the HDF5 path: "checking whether a location for the HDF5 library was
> > specified... /home/hduan/share" and it reported no error.
> >
> > -Huaiyu

> >> Howdy Huaiyu!
> >>
> >> If you want netCDF-4 enabled, you must specify the location of your 1.8.4
> >> HDF5 libraries with the --with-hdf5=/somewhere option to configure.
> >>
> >> For more detail see:
> >> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs_snapshot/netcdf-install.html#Quick-Instructions
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Ed