Re: Y2k Status of NETcdf

Hi Roger,

>      I am doing Y2K compliance research for a US Government customer that
>      is using NETcdf 2.3, and so I need to know what its year 2000
>      compliance status is.
>
>      Also, if 2.3 is not compliant, I need to be able to tell them what
>      release is or will be, and when it is expected to be available if it
>      is not already available.  Thank you,

  All versions and releases of netCDF are year 2000 compliant, because
  none of the netCDF libraries or utilities deal in any special way with
  dates as a data type. If users want to represent date or time data in a
  netCDF file, they may choose their own convention for such
  representation in terms of basic data types such as integers, floating
  point numbers, or character strings.  Use of the recommended units
  conventions supported by the udunits library for time assures year-2000
  compliance, because the udunits package was designed to handle arbitrary
  times.

The above statement appears in our Frequently Asked Questions list at

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html#y2k

in case you need a reference.

--Russ