Re: problems with netcdf/Perl (-fPIC?)

Stephen,

>Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 13:16:32 -0700
>From: "Stephen C. Diggs" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: problems with netcdf/Perl (-fPIC?)

> Pardon my stupidity (and I've tried unsuccessfully to do this on my
> own), but does one include the "-fPIC" flag to be used in either the
> ./configure or the Makefile?
>
> Back when makefiles were small and simple, but looking through the
> ./configure file. it's not really obvious where to do this.  I suppose
> I need the dance steps, not the overview.

I'm not one of the supporters of the netCDF package anymore, but I
suggest you try this:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory of the netCDF package.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Ensure that the environment variable CFLAGS contains the string
        "-fPIC", e.g.,

            export CFLAGS=-fPIC

        depending on your user-shell.

    4.  Execute the commands "make" and "make install".

    5.  Go to the top-level source-directory of the netCDF-Perl package.

    6.  Execute the commands "make clean", "make", and (hopefully) "make
        install".

> thanks,
> -sd
> --
> Steve Diggs
> Scripps Institution of Oceanography
> CLIVAR and Carbon Hydrographic Data Office
> 9500 Gilman Drive
> La Jolla, CA 92093-0214
> +--
> Voice: (858)534-1108