[netCDF #ORC-296912]: Issue Opening HDF5 database

> Hello,
>
> I have an HDF5 database supplied by an external party that I am trying to
> read in Java using version 4.6.11 of the NetCDF library. When I open the file
> using NetcdfFile.open (path) using a path returned from a JFileChooser and
> for which File.exists() returns true, I get a NullPointerException as follows:
>
> Java.io.IOException : Java.lang.NullPointerException
> NetcdfFile.java : 427, open ()
> NetcdfFile.java : 394, open ()
> NetcdfFile.java : 381, open ()
> NetcdfFile.java : 369, open ()
>
> And when I do System.out.println (except.getMessage()); with the caught
> exception, I get "null".
>
> I am not sure if the database has a field value that the NetCDF library is
> not expecting. I was able to open the database using a validation tool, so
> that Windows-specific application does not seem to have a problem opening the
> HDF5 file.
>
> Is there any way that I can figure out what is causing this problem as the
> information from the exception is particularly unenlightening?  I did not
> know if the source code for NetcdfFile.java was available for review anywhere
> or whether this might be a bug in the library that is not checking to see if
> a field is defined before accessing it?  Any help would be most appreciated.
>
> Thank You,
> -Creig Donnald

Greetings Creig!

The netCDF-Java library is on github, and can be found here:

https://github.com/unidata/thredds

Version 4.6.x is the master branch. Specifically, the code for NetcdfFile is
here:

https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/blob/master/cdm/src/main/java/ucar/nc2/NetcdfFile.java

However, most likely, the error is occurring at the HDF5 IOSP layer:

https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/tree/master/cdm/src/main/java/ucar/nc2/iosp/hdf5

It's hard to diagnose the exact problem without the file that is causing the
error - is
there any chance we could get a copy of it to take a look locally?

Thank you!

Sean

Ticket ID: ORC-296912
Department: Support netCDF Java