[netCDFJava #TYF-271558]: Nexrad level 3 reading error

Hi Jonathan,

I took the file you sent and stepped through our radar file reader.  The error
you are seeing comes up when the code thinks it finds a product with product
code -252.  I checked the NCDC level 3 radar products
(http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/radar/productsdetail.html), and I could not find
the code listed (nor any code with a negative number).  I'd have to dig deeper
to see if this is a bug in how we open the file, so can you tell me for certain
that this file isn't corrupt somehow?  Can you open it using a tool that
doesn't rely on netcdf-java?

Regards,
  Lansing Madry
  Unidata
  Boulder, Colorado

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to read in the Storm Tracking Information from level 3 radar
> data here:
> ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/DF.of/DC.radar/DS.58sti/SI.ksgf/sn.last
> (file attached)
>
> I'm using the toolsUI-4.3.jar and I get this error:
>
> jwolfe@olive:~/>  java -classpath toolsUI-4.3.jar ucar.nc2.FileWriter -in
> sn.last -out sn.nc
> Nov 05, 2013 8:06:07 AM ucar.nc2.iosp.nids.Nidsheader read
> SEVERE: error reading pcode= -252 sn.last
> Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: error
> reading pcode, unable to handle the product with code -252
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:425)
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:392)
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:379)
> at ucar.nc2.FileWriter.main(FileWriter.java:771)
> Caused by: java.io.IOException: error reading pcode, unable to handle the
> product with code -252
> at ucar.nc2.iosp.nids.Nidsheader.read(Nidsheader.java:678)
> at ucar.nc2.iosp.nids.Nidsiosp.open(Nidsiosp.java:107)
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.<init>(NetcdfFile.java:1521)
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:813)
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:422)
>
> I tried reading the file from the GUI too and came up with the same error.
> Am I reading this file correctly or is this a bug?
>
> *Jonathan Wolfe*
> * |  Meteorologist Charleston Pilot Project   *
> *Charleston, WV *
>

> *National Weather Service 304-746-0190*

Ticket ID: TYF-271558
Department: Support netCDF Java