Re: FW: [netCDFJava #RUG-895669]: NetCDF Java API

Hi Ross:

Sorry for the long delay.

GRIB has a notion of "reference time" and "valid time". We use the earliest reference time in the collection for the time units string. The problem is that "reference time" doesnt always mean "run time", but if in your particular case it does, then you can use it. heres a test routine:

    String s = "Hour since 2007-03-22T00:00:00Z";
    CalendarDateUnit  cdu = CalendarDateUnit.of(null, s);
System.out.printf("%s == %s%n base = %s or %s%n", s, cdu, cdu.getBaseCalendarDate(), cdu.getBaseDate());
  }

One of the reasons it took me so long to answer is that Ive been considering adding an auxiliary time coordinate that would document the reference time. However, at this point its not going to happen soon.

thanks for your patience.

John