[netCDFJava #HVW-546457]: NetCDF-Java 4.3.8 failing on this Valid OPeNDAP URL

Roland wrote:
> Dennis wrote:
> > Frankly,  I never envisioned such a
> > weird url as yours (in unencoded form):
> > http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/hfrnet/agg/6km_expr_{}{letdeq1ubar=u[d=1,l=1:24@ave
> > ]}
>

> > In my opinion, Ferret is seriously abusing the url format
> > and such a query should have been in the
> > actual query part of a url (i.e. after the '?'), but
> > so be it.
> >
> > John- any comment on this? Do we need to revisit our encoding
> > rules?
> >

> I don't think you should revisit your encoding rules.  My intention with
> URLs of this type is that they be presented to the client libraries
> unencoded.

I'm a bit concerned about assuming URLs are unencoded. Browsers and other tools
(gateways and proxies e.g.) sometimes automatically encode URLs they encounter
that contain characters that are "unsafe" (e.g., "{" and "["). Which means that
users may very well encounter encoded URLs and thus paste them into their
applications and code.

Ethan

Ticket ID: HVW-546457
Department: Support netCDF Java