[IDV #IRZ-510849]: load an EOS-HDF (ASTER Swath data) using java-netcdf in the IDV

Hi Tyn:

This appears to be the case where we have data, eg 4200 x 4980, but we have
geolocations only for 11 x 11. So your link is correct.

Ive seen this before but im not sure how one would interpolate, do you know?

Another possibility, is for some kind of image warping in the IDV to render
these quickly. Yuan, is that possible?

john

> > Dear support,
> >
> > I'm trying to load a EOS-HDF (ASTER Swath data) using java-netcdf in the
> > IDV (see jython script below). I'm getting the following error on
> > display-type "Color-Shaded Plan View":
> >
> > visad.VisADException: bad set visad.Gridded2DSet: Dimension = 2 Length = 121
> > Dimension 0: Length = 11 Range = -2.48425 to -1.5074538
> > Dimension 1: Length = 11 Range = 38.52344 to 39.19869
> >
> > I don't think the Java parser is choking on an alias or anything, but the
> > problem is more likely to be this:
> > http://hdfeos.org/forums/archive/index.php?t-79.html. Do you know if your
> > new opendap stuff will work on it? any quick fixes you can suggest?
> >
> > I have placed the HDF-file here:
> > http://www.itc.nl/personal/venus/tmp/AST_L1B_00307182004110047_08122004112525.hdf
> >
> > Tyn
> >

> Hi Tyn,
> The problem is that the CDM library can not recognize the coordinate system
> of this file. The CDM library do support a few swath satellite data formats,
> but not in the hdfeos.  I am forward this support to netcdf group to see if
> they have any suggestion.
>

> Yuan
> > formula: testhdf(filename[isuser=true, default=*.hdf],param[isuser=true,
> > default=VNIR/VNIR_Swath/Data Fields/ImageData1])
> >
> > def testhdf(filename, paramname):
> > from ucar.nc2 import NetcdfFile as nf;
> > from visad import Gridded2DSet, RealTupleType;
> > fn = filename;
> > pn = paramname;
> > a = nf.open(fn);
> > print a
> > #vars = a.getVariables();
> > #print vars;
> > lat = a.findVariable("VNIR/VNIR_Swath/Geolocation Fields/Latitude");
> > lon = a.findVariable("VNIR/VNIR_Swath/Geolocation Fields/Longitude");
> > tst=a.findVariable(pn);
> > llat = lat.read().get1DJavaArray(java.lang.Float);
> > llon = lon.read().get1DJavaArray(java.lang.Float);
> > ttst = tst.read().get1DJavaArray(java.lang.Float);
> > shape = lat.getShape();
> > print "Shape: ",shape
> > for i in xrange(len(llat)):
> > if (llat[i]<-99.):
> > llat[i] = java.lang.Float.NaN;
> > if (llon[i] < -999.):
> > llon[i] = java.lang.Float.NaN;
> > if (ttst[i] < -999.):
> > ttst[i] = java.lang.Float.NaN;
> > gs = Gridded2DSet(RealTupleType.SpatialEarth2DTuple, [llon,llat], shape[1],
> > shape[0], None, None, None,0,0);
> > print "gs: ", gs
> > ff = field(gs, "Reflectance", ttst);
> > #createDisplay('imagedisplay',ff);
> > return ff;

> > Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
> > University of Twente
> > Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000
> >
> > E-mail disclaimer
> > The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for
> > the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
> [...]

Ticket ID: IRZ-510849
Department: Support netCDF Java