Re: [netcdf-java] Grib2Netcdf

On 12/14/2011 9:04 AM, Kevin Manross wrote:
Hi John,

In some ways, it looks like v4.3 is handling the metadata much better than v4.2.  In other ways, v4.3 seems to be missing some important information - particularly with the dimension variables.  (No _CoordinateAxisType, for example)

I could put those back in, although they are redundant with CF spec. do you  use them? what other metadata in 4.2 not in 4.3 do you see as important?

I'm attaching the respective header dumps from using ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset with both v4.2 and v4.3.

I also wanted to bring up that the v4.3 GUI doesn't want to open for me.  (I use the toolsUI GUI *a lot* to examine files.)

Perhaps I should be starting it with a different command than I used in v4.2, but I didn't see anything that suggested there was a different way to launch it.  Here is my command line dump: (also tried with a smaller vm heap declaration)

ok, looks like some simple problem i will fix.

[manross@albion ~]$ java -Xmx3064m -jar /mnt/home/manross/Programming/Java/toolsUI-4.3.jar
Dec 14, 2011 9:43:58 AM org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext prepareRefresh
INFO: Refreshing org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext@7455d93d: startup date [Wed Dec 14 09:43:58 CST 2011]; root of context hierarchy
Dec 14, 2011 9:43:58 AM org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader loadBeanDefinitions
INFO: Loading XML bean definitions from class path resource [resources/nj22/ui/spring/application-config.xml]
Exception in thread "main" org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.BeanDefinitionParsingException: Configuration problem: Unexpected failure during bean definition parsing
Offending resource: class path resource [resources/nj22/ui/spring/application-config.xml]
Bean 'mbeanExporter'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.BeanDefinitionParsingException: Configuration problem: Unable to locate Spring NamespaceHandler for XML schema namespace [http://www.springframework.org/schema/util]
Offending resource: class path resource [resources/nj22/ui/spring/application-config.xml]
Bean 'mbeanExporter'
-> Property 'beans'
at org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.FailFastProblemReporter.error(FailFastProblemReporter.java:68)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.ReaderContext.error(ReaderContext.java:85)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.error(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:291)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parseBeanDefinitionElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:497)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parseBeanDefinitionElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:396)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parseBeanDefinitionElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:365)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.processBeanDefinition(DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.java:258)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.parseDefaultElement(DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.java:153)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.parseBeanDefinitions(DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.java:132)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.registerBeanDefinitions(DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.java:93)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.registerBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:493)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.doLoadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:390)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:334)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:302)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.java:143)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.java:178)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.java:149)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.java:212)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractXmlApplicationContext.loadBeanDefinitions(AbstractXmlApplicationContext.java:126)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractXmlApplicationContext.loadBeanDefinitions(AbstractXmlApplicationContext.java:92)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractRefreshableApplicationContext.refreshBeanFactory(AbstractRefreshableApplicationContext.java:130)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.obtainFreshBeanFactory(AbstractApplicationContext.java:467)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:397)
at org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.<init>(ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.java:139)
at org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.<init>(ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.java:83)
at ucar.nc2.ui.ToolsUI.main(ToolsUI.java:5988)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.BeanDefinitionParsingException: Configuration problem: Unable to locate Spring NamespaceHandler for XML schema namespace [http://www.springframework.org/schema/util]
Offending resource: class path resource [resources/nj22/ui/spring/application-config.xml]
Bean 'mbeanExporter'
-> Property 'beans'
at org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.FailFastProblemReporter.error(FailFastProblemReporter.java:68)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.ReaderContext.error(ReaderContext.java:85)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.ReaderContext.error(ReaderContext.java:80)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.error(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:284)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parseCustomElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:1332)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parseNestedCustomElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:1388)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parsePropertySubElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:956)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parsePropertySubElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:944)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parsePropertyValue(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:934)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parsePropertyElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:832)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parsePropertyElements(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:697)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parseBeanDefinitionElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:482)
... 22 more

Please let my know if there is anything else you need.

-kevin.

PS - I will be starting at NCAR - CISL on Feb 13.  Looking forward to hopefully chatting with you in person from time to time!

wow! congratulations! looking forward to connecting. What group are you in, what will you be doing?