Re: "time" as a variable and not a dimension

On 4/14/2011 9:57 AM, Tom Whittaker wrote:
Hi John...

Good to see you this week!  Sorry we didn't get of a chance to talk,
but I hope things are going well.

We keep running into a situation that I'm not sure what the best
strategy is for handling:  files (netCDF and HDF that I'm aware of),
have shapes for parameters like "x,y"...but there is also a "time"
variable in the file.
not really sure what you mean - do you mean theres NOT a time variable ?

Is it possible to do an NcML aggregation of a
group of these files and have a "time dimension" made up?  Much like
what I have done already with the "dimName" aggregation attribute?
on can use a joinNew aggregation and assign the time coordinate in several ways, see:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/ncml/v2.2/Aggregation.html#joinNew

Any ideas and thoughts would be really appreciated!!

Best wishes,

tom

let me know if that helps!