Re: HDF metadata

On Nov 22, 2010, at 17:53, John Caron wrote:

> then, when you enhance it, it turns it into a double by applying the
> scale/offset, and the non-string attributes are:

I always use NetcdfDataset.acquireFile(String,CancelTask)
to open datasets. Poking through the API, it looks to me
like using this method always turns on enhancement.

> it removes scale/offset attributes so they they dont get applied again. the
> missing values are converted to NaNs, and those are also removed since they
> dont make sense anymore now that the variables is a double.

Has this dropping of listed attributes from the reported
variable description always been the case, or something
that occurred when NJ went up to version 4?

It's not something I've ever noticed before, but now that
you explain it, it sounds like the same thing that was going
on when a fellow at GSFC wrote to me a month or so ago
about an HDF file in which some attributes were not
being reported.

rbs

--
Robert B. Schmunk, address@hidden
NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, 2880 Broadway, New York, NY 10025