From:   Rich Signell <address@hidden>
To:     Roland Viger <address@hidden>
Cc:     John Caron <address@hidden>
Date:   10/08/2009 03:29 PM
Subject:        Problem with Albers and Spherical Earth
Sent by:        address@hidden

Roland,

Attached is the NcML for your uniformly spaced Albers Equal Area
Delaware grid, and while NetCDF-Java figured out the geospatial
coordinates,  it didn't plot in exactly the right place (see
attached).

Do you think folks will mind?  ;-)

I figured that this was probably an ellipsoid issue, realizing that I
hadn't specified a datum or ellipsoid.

But then I discovered (remembered?) that it isn't possible to specify
anything -- the Unidata Common Data Model assumes a spherical earth
for Albers

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/StandardCoordinateTransforms.html

and of course this data uses the GRS80 Spheroid.  ;-(

I tried adding an inverse_flattening, hopefully, but nothing happened,
so I guess the Albers Equal Area routine would have to be improved for
this to work correctly.

John, please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Rich
--