[netCDFJava #TXK-884300]: NetCDF Java running correctly on one machine but not on another

Hi James:

NetCDF Java is 100% java, so should not need to be recompiled.

My best guess is that theres is a byte-order dependency somewhere that we didnt
get right.

Can you send a sample file that causes the problem? I take it is compressed?
What kind of compression? What kind of file? Can you send the compressed and
uncompressed versions? If large, can you send a URL?

thanks

> Hi there,
> I am having a problem running a NetCDF Java program that runs fine on two
> different local laptops - Mac OS X and Windows Vista, but when I run the
> exact same program on a remote Linux machine, rather than reading the
> variables such as latitude that I would expect, it outputs many incorrect
> variables.
>
> E.g It outputs to standard out Mesonet data such as this on the remote
> Linux:
>
> Station id: AP474
> station name: AA7OA Astoria                     OR US
> Latitude: -7.6605096E-23
>
> and this on the local laptops:
>
> Station id: AP474
> station name: AA7OA Astoria                     OR US
> Latitude: 46.18125
>
> Strangely, the textual data I access appears to output correctly on the
> remote Linux, but the numeric values retrieved such as Latitude and
> Longitude pull out incorrect results like that shown above. I have uploaded
> the local working class files and run on the remote Linux machine, and also
> compiled the java on that same machine and no errors are shown during the
> running of the program but still this problem persists.
>
> After a while of contemplating the problem, I considered it could be a
> problem occurring when the NetCDF file uncompresses on the server using:
>
> ncfile = NetcdfFile.open(filename);
>
> however, if I download the resultant uncompressed file and test the program
> on the file locally on either of the laptops I mention above, it outputs the
> correct data again.
>
> I also tested the following. I uncompressed a NetCDF file locally and
> uploaded it to the remote linux machine and ran the same program on that. In
> that instance - the program would not run because of the following error:
>
> Misformed netCDF file - dim magic number wrong
>
> I'm afraid I am totally stumped. Do you have any suggestions as to what may
> be causing this problem? I'm not sure if this will help but some information
> my local testing laptop and remote:
>
> Local Mac OS X info: xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
> Remote Linux info:  i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.
>
> All the best
>
> James Cox

Ticket ID: TXK-884300
Department: Support netCDF Java