Re: examples of rotated pole and British National Grid data

Wright, Bruce wrote:
John,

I'm running the downloaded "toolsUI-2.2.20.jar" files from my Desktop -
I could not get it to launch from WebStart (but this may be due to my
ignorance of WebStart), so I don't have console output; so it's not
clear what is happening when I try to save NetCDF - it just doesn't
actually update the file.
if you run from a command window, error output should be going to that. there were some errors in the ncml, so i suspect it was bombing when you tried to open it.
I have no problem saving to NcML, so I've attached a manually updated
NcML file, in the hope that you can use this - it corresponds to the
NetCDF file of the same name (which I sent previously). I've tried to
make the metadata as standard as possible, but I noted that in the
example in the CF Conventions documentation, the file had two further
2-d arrays for latititude and longitude of the rotated pole grid-points
(i.e. and explicit mapping); these are not present in the files, as they
were not in the source FieldsFiles - I don't know if this will cause you
problems.
we dont use the 2D lat/lon arrays (unless we have to), so leaving them out is good.
Let me know if this is any use.

I don't have any references for rotated pole - it's not really a
specific projection, just a rotation of the normal lat-long coordinates
to put the middle of the grid being used on the equator to get the
grid-spacing as even as possible.
im having some trouble with the transformation, i will have talk to the person who wrote it.

however, to figure out whats wrong, it would be good to know what is "truth". Can you send me what you expect is the correct (non-rotated) lat/lon values? Any point would be fine, perhaps the 4 corners if thats easy.