Re: Java and choosing a parameter table to use

Charles:

Since the current Java netcdf library "understands" GRIB2, and if your
desired application is in Java, you might consider using the Netcdf
Tools (link in the Java NetCDF page, as well as tutorial for NCML
which is a "must read" before doing down this path) to create some
NCML
that would allow you to effectively change the names/units/etc.  If
you then aim your
application at the .ncml file, it's just like reading from the .nc
file except you get
all the "new" meta data.

Click on the "NCML" tab in the toosui.jar file, and first point it at
your original .nc file.
Edit the variables (check the tutorial about assigning new names) and then when
you're done, save it (as an .ncml file).

I've used this a lot to "restructure" netcdf files that were not in CF
compliant form.  I have
also encountered some very obtuse hdf5 files that could not be munged
into anything
usable, however.

tom