RandomAccessFile in 2.2.18

If you use toolsUI-2.2.18.jar you discover that there are two RandomAccessFile
classes but only one in the Javadoc. It would seem (I haven't looked at the
source code) that

ucar.netcdf.RandomAccessFile might be very similar to
ucar.unidata.io.RandomAccessFile which is in the Javadoc.

The former has been around a long time and I was wondering whether I should
convert to using the one in the later package - pretty much mandatory given
that there wouldn't be documentary support for the earlier version. I note it
doesn't support a java.io.File argument constructor. Neither has a setLength
which is in java.io.RandomAccessFile which I would find handy. Also I note that
netcdf-2.2.18.jar, unlike toolsUI, doesn't include the earlier version.

Can someone advise?

Steve Loch
BODC
Web: www.bodc.ac.uk

PS Where's the best location to send comments on the (javadoc) documentation?