Re: problem with writing netcdf file

Hi tom:

nectdf-3 file format doesnt support "long" type, so NetcdfFileWriteable wont accept it.
sorry the error message wasnt more useful.

Tom Whittaker wrote:

I tried joining the netcdf-java mailing list using the on-line form, but got no results emailed back to me...so I'm writing directly (sorry).

I'm trying to write my very first netcdf file from scratch using netcdf-2.2.jar. Just as I'm starting, I'm testing and it's throwing an interesting exception. I'm sure it's "Pilot Error", but I have no clue at this point.

I'm using the current netcdf-2.2.jar file from the web site.

Here's the code (sorry it's in Jython, but that's what we're using these days -- if it turns out to be some data type conversion problems, then I'll have to find a way around that, but when I look at "DataType.LONG" it prints a "long" and is a class ucar.nc2.DataType):

from ucar.nc2 import NetcdfFileWriteable
from ucar.nc2 import DataType

def makeNetCDFtest():

  ncfile = NetcdfFileWriteable()
  ncfile.setName("mydata.nc")
  oneDim = ncfile.addDimension("one",1)

  ncfile.addVariable("date", DataType.LONG, [oneDim,])
ncfile.addVariableAttribute("date","long_name","Date, in YYYYMMDD format")

  ncfile.create()
  ncfile.close()

if __name__ == "__main__":
  makeNetCDFtest()
  print "done..."

Here's the exception:

raceback (innermost last):

  File "<string>", line 19, in ?
  File "<string>", line 15, in makeNetCDFtest

java.lang.IllegalStateException: unknown DataType == long
    at ucar.nc2.N3header.getType(N3header.java:405)
    at ucar.nc2.N3header.writeVars(N3header.java:586)
    at ucar.nc2.N3header.create(N3header.java:458)
    at ucar.nc2.N3iosp.create(N3iosp.java:255)
    at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFileWriteable.create(NetcdfFileWriteable.java:299)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java)
    at org.python.core.PyMethod.__call__(PyMethod.java)
    at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java)
    at org.python.core.PyInstance.invoke(PyInstance.java)
    at org.python.pycode._pyx79.makeNetCDFtest$1(<string>:15)
    at org.python.pycode._pyx79.call_function(<string>)
    at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java)
    at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java)
    at org.python.core.PyFunction.__call__(PyFunction.java)
    at org.python.pycode._pyx79.f$0(<string>:19)
    at org.python.pycode._pyx79.call_function(<string>)
    at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java)
    at org.python.core.PyCode.call(PyCode.java)
    at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java)
    at org.python.core.Py.exec(Py.java)
    at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.exec(PythonInterpreter.java)
    at org.jext.scripting.python.Run.execute(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor20.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java) at org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java)
    at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java)
    at org.python.core.PyObject.invoke(PyObject.java)
    at org.python.pycode._pyx78.f$0(<string>:3)
    at org.python.pycode._pyx78.call_function(<string>)
    at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java)
    at org.python.core.PyCode.call(PyCode.java)
    at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java)
    at org.python.core.Py.exec(Py.java)
    at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.exec(PythonInterpreter.java)
    at org.jext.PythonAction.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.InputHandler.executeAction(Unknown Source) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.DefaultInputHandler.keyPressed(DefaultInputHandler.java:259) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3615)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1627)
at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(KeyboardFocusManager.java:1713) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:627) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:831) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:741) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:592)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3506)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1627)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)

java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: unknown DataType == long