Re: 20041119: NetCDF Java library

Unidata Support wrote:

------- Forwarded Message

To: <address@hidden>
From: "Ali Beyad" <address@hidden>
Subject: NetCDF Java library

Hi,

I was just recently made aware of the new alpha version of NetCDF Java library
2.2.  In our application, we are trying to use a Java library that can parse
HDF5 files.  I have been using HDF5 library from UIUC, which is in native C
with a JNI wrap around, and the major problem there is that we can not read
variable-length datatypes (e.g. if a String is a variable-length datatype, the
library currently cant handle it and we get garbled strings).

I was wondering if NetCDF Java v 2.2 (or even v 2.1) can handle the parsing of
variable length datatypes (we have both datasets and attributes of datasets
that are variable-length datatypes)?  If so, is there anywhere in the
documentation that you can point me to as a reference for how to accomplish
this?

Thank you very much for your help.  Looking forward to your response.

-Ali

Hi Ali:

nj22 should work. HDF5 Strings get mapped to netcdf Strings. Other types get mapped to 1-d arrays of unknown length. When you do the read, you will get back all of the data, you can look at it to see how long it is.

please send me a file or a URL to a file that has the variable length datatypes, so i can double check.

thanks.