Re: 20040414: Attribute modification in Java2.1 NetCDF API

Unidata Support wrote:

------- Forwarded Message

To: <address@hidden>
From: "Steve Loch" <address@hidden>
Subject: Attribute modification in Java2.1 NetCDF API

Is there any prospect of a later release permitting the update of the
attributes within a NetCDF file without having to regenerate the
complete file?

The APIs I have used to date including Fortran, C and Matlab don't have
this restriction.

Steve Loch
British Oceanographic Dta Centre

we will support attribute modification in the next version of netcdf-java (2.2), which may be ready by end of year (?)

as to whether that can be done without rewriting the file depends on the file; we are constrained by the version 1 file format. what would you need in that regard?

netcdf-4 (on top of HDF5) should be able to modify attributes without rewriting entire file.