[McIDAS #ATD-627104]: Latest release of Unidata McIDAS-X

Hi Robert,

re:
> Sorry I sent this originally to the McIDAS-X list.

No worries.

re:
> I just received notice of the SSEC release of McIDAS-X V2022.1.

Yup, as did we all :-)

re:
> What is the latest release of Unidata McIDAS-X?

I have a v2021 release.  I will be jumping on getting a v2022 release put
together _soon_.

re:
> We are running Unidata McIDAS V2019 now. Also, I know you are looking
> at retiring soon with no scheduled replacement at Unidata.

That is correct.  My current timeframe for retiring is the beginning of
February.

re:
> Should we be looking at going ahead and migrating over to SSEC McIDAS-X
> over this next year?

Since the powers that be have decided to stop supporting Unidata McIDAS-X
distributions after I am gone, it would be a good idea to start transitioning.
I do intend to get out a v2022 release as soon as I can in early January,
so you have time to make the adjustment.  That being said, we have hired
two new staff members who both have experience with McIDAS, Mike Zuranski
who came from College of DuPage (where he used McIDAS extensively for
NexLab), and Stonie Cooper who came from Planetary Data.  Stonie actually
worked on McIDAS code many years ago during the 'Advanced McIDAS' era.
Neither Mike or Stonie were hired to support McIDAS, but since they know
about the package, they should be able to help existing users.  Also,
I will still be doing McIDAS-X development for SSEC (non-paying activity),
so I can always help out also.

re:
> Thanks so much hope you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a great 2023!

I had a great Christmas, thanks!  I hope that you did also!!  I hope that
2023 sees the end of the COVID pandemic, so we can all get on with "normal"
live :-)

Ticket ID: ATD-627104
Department: Support McIDAS