[McIDAS #CXH-788694]: Password for download McIDAS software no working

Hi,

re:
> I successfully downloaded and install Midas package 2021 ok

Very good.

re:
> Does the full tar contain the addendum or do I need this too
> Hence I need another logon/password to get it

Comments:

Addenda are made when there is something new and or changed in the
distribution.  The Unidata Addenda process is different from the SSEC
one, so IF you are familiar with the SSEC one, you will be forced to
think a slightly different way.

The mcidasx2021.tar.gz file will _always_ contain all of the most up to
date code and ancillary data files.

The Unidata Addenda process is an attempt to make updating an existing
McIDAS distribution easier than unpacking the full distribution.

If there is no addenda tarball available, it will mean that there have been
no addenda made.  This is the case now since this is the initial release
of the Unidata v2021 release.

re:
> With the new package mcidas2021.tar most
> most commands work on meteosat ect but fails to load HIMAWARI images
> correctly in HRIT format received via EUMETCAST From DSSERVE doc

Hmm... The Himawari ADDE server code is exactly what is available in the
SSEC 2021.1 release, so if it is not working in Unidata McIDAS-X, it is
also not working in the SSEC 2021.1 release.

re:
> You can access HimawariCast HRIT files in the JMA standard (segmented
> or combined) format with the IMG* commands by using DSSERVE to assign a
> dataset name to the files. When doing so, specify "WARC" in the format
> parameter, TYPE=IMAGE, and the directory and file masks in the DIRFILE
> keyword. The names of files should look similar to
> IMG_DK01B16_201508290810_010
> or IMG_DK01IR2_201601120130.

Yes, this is the documentation for the DSSERVE command (e.g., the output of
HELP DSSERVE).

re:
> This used to work but last year there was a change in the HRIT header this
> new mcidas2021 fails like my last 2017 package

OK, a change having been made to the HRIT header is important to know.

re:
> Will adding the addendum help or do we need to ask SSEC?

Again, there is no addendum yet since this is the initial release of Unidata
McIDAS-X v2021.

I will check the SSEC code repository to see if there has been any new
work done on the Himawari ADDE server code (I am one of the McIDAS developers
that have direct access to the SSEC McIDAS code repository).  If there is
an update, I will create an addendum that contains the updated code; setup
credentials for doing downloads (the credentials have a limited lifetime);
and let you know about the addendum.  If there has not been any new updates
to the Himawari server code, I will initiate a conversation with the MUG
folks at SSEC (McIDAS User's Group) to see if other users have reported
this "new" incompatibility.

Request:

What would be most useful is to get at least one example of a HRIT
image so that I and/or SSEC has something to test against.  Can you put
one or more such files somewhere where I can download it/them?

Ticket ID: CXH-788694
Department: Support McIDAS