[Staging #BJE-146276]: 20220917: ADDE use at UQAM

Hi,

re:
> I am sorry for my late reply, but I am a bit overwhelmed with work these
> past weeks. I am not sure when I can have a Google Meet because I won't be
> in my office until Sep 30th... maybe it would be faster if you get me
> through using this support thread?

OK.

re:
> Then I can work on it in parallel with
> the conferences and meetings I am attending, or during travel time at
> airports...!

OK, let's try the asynchronous approach...

The "problem":

By default, McIDAS-X caches the IP address for a named ADDE server in a file
that is named MCTABLE.TXT.  This default can be overridden by the setting
of the MCTABLE_WRITE environment variable, so the first thing to do is to
review your setup to see if there is a MCTABLE_WRITE definition in-place,
and, if there is, see what file it specifies.

After determining the name of the file that is being used to cache the
IP addresses for named ADDE servers, you will need to edit it (direct
editing is the fastest way) using a standard Linux editor (NOT a Windows
editor like notepad, wordpad, etc.).  The entries you want to look for
are the ones related to the request that is being made from ATM.UCAR.EDU
(the names in the file are in capitals).

Here is an example that should help to illustrate the pair of entries
in the file that I am using to access the EAST dataset from the ADDE
server on adde.ssec.wisc.edu.edu:

ADDE_ROUTE_EAST=ADDE.SSEC.WISC.EDU
HOST_ADDE.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.95

The IP address written into the file in question will have been determined
by a lookup the first time that the ADDE server was "pointed at" by
the McIDAS command DATALOC.  For instance:

DATALOC ADD EAST ADDE.SSEC.WISC.EDU

will add the entries to the cache file if they didn't previously exist, and
it will update the name <-> IP mapping if it did exist.  If you were
running an interactive McIDAS session while doing the ADDE access, the
simplest solution would be for you to run, for instance:

DATALOC ADD EAST ADDE.UCAR.EDU

If, on the other hand, the process that is doing the ADDE access is being
from from a script by cron or otherwise, the script could be updated to
add the DATALOC command before the actual access.  For instance:

dataloc.k ADD EAST ADDE.UCAR.EDU

The other approach, the one I mentioned first, is to edit the cache file
directly.  In this approach, you would need to have exactly one
entry that defines the host to contact when requesting data from the
EAST dataset, and one entry that defines the IP address of name of
the server being accessed.

In my example, I could:

change:

ADDE_ROUTE_EAST=ADDE.SSEC.WISC.EDU
HOST_ADDE.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.95

to:

ADDE_ROUTE_EAST=ADDE.UCAR.EDU
HOST_ADDE.UCAR.EDU=128.117.135.126

PLEASE NOTE:

If you choose to edit the file directly, you MUST make sure
that you do not have duplicate entries for either of these
settings (ADDE_ROUTE_group or HOST_server.name.domain=ip_address).

I hope that the above is enough to get you going.  If you run into
something that you don't think matches the above, please detail
what you are seeing so I can better understand your setup.

Ticket ID: BJE-146276
Department: Support McIDAS