[McIDAS #YAX-451139]: Creating TruColor RGB from GOES-16

Hi Carol,

I apologize for the slow reply... my Internet connection yesterday and again
today failed leaving me with no way to send a reply...

re:
> I've been making the standard RGB GOES-16 display via the following set of
> bands
>
> RED - Band 2
> GREEN - Band 3
> BLUE - Band 1
>
> Using the standard RGBDISP, the display is a bit too green since Band 3
> isn't actually the True Green band.

Yes, a "green band" has to be synthesized.

> See the attached image.

Yup.

re:
> This is discussed in the Uniata GOES-16: True Color Recipe
> <https://unidata.github.io/python-gallery/examples/mapping_GOES16_TrueColor.html>
> example. Where the Green values should be scaled like this....
>
> TrueGreen = (0.45*RED) + (0.1*GREEN) + (0.45*BLUE)
>
> Can this be done in McIDAS to achieve a better looking RGB image?

Yes, this can be done using a series of IMGOPER invocations, but
there is an easier way:

In the /home/mcidas/data directory in v2020 there is a McBASI script
named ABITRUCOL.MCB that does all of the work for you.  I am attaching
it to this reply just to make sure that you have a copy.

Here is the HELP for ABITRUCOL.MCB:

ABITRUCOL -- Displays a corrected ABI true-color RGB image
     ABITRUCOL dataset frame 'day/time keywords' 'positioning keywords'
Parameters:
     dataset  | GOES ABI image for input Red, Green, and
                Blue bands (def=EAST/FD.-1)
     frame    | destination frame to display the output
                color image (def=current frame)
     'day/time keywords' | DAY=, TIME= (no default)
     'positioning keywords' | LAT=, MAG=, STA=, LIN=
        see RGBDISP for more information (def='STA= MIA')
        'MAG= -24' will center a full disk image on a 480x640 frame
Examples:
  ABITRUCOL X X 'TIME=12 13' 'MAG=-2 STA=STL'
    displays the RGB image magnified over St Louis, MO between 12 and 13 UTC
  ABITRUCOL LOCAL/AREA.1 5 X 'MAG=-4 STA=MSN'
    displays the RGB image of an AREA file on frame 5 magnified over Madison, WI
Remarks:
  ABITRUCOL is based on the CIMSS Natural True Color method:

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/OCLOFactSheetPDFs/ABIQuickGuide_CIMSSRGB_v2.pdf

  ABITRUCOL is a McBASI script that executes McIDAS commands to copy
  bands 1, 2, and 3 from an ABI image, manipulate them into the same
  resolution, create an approximated green band with IMGOPER, and then
  use the RGBDISP command to display the ABI natural true-color RGB image.

  While creating the true-color RGB image, the script runs IMGCOPY,
  IMGREMAP and IMGOPER commands that overwrite Area files 4501-4540
  (AREA4501, AREA4502, ..., AREA4540). To change the Area file numbers
  or make any other changes (e.g., change the default dataset or station),
  copy the file ABITRUCOL.MCB from ~mcidas/data/ to your
  $HOME/mcidas/data/ directory and edit the file.
  ----------

I have run this McBASI script using as input GRB distributed ABI CONUS
and FullDisk images as well as NOAAPort SCMI images that we distribute
as full scenes (images) in the IDD NIMAGE feed.

Here are the relevant ADDE information:

servers                 group/descriptor
lead.unidata.ucar.edu   RTGOESR/CONUS, RTGOESR/FD
atm.ucar.edu            RTGOESS/CONUS, RTGOESS/FD

                        NPGOESR/CONUS, NPGOESR/FD
                        NPGOESS/CONUS, NPGOESS/FD

Before we went to lockdown/WFH, I was using this script all the time
to create loops of pseudo truecolor images, and they were spectacular.

Again, I apologize for my inability to respond quicker...

Ticket ID: YAX-451139
Department: Support McIDAS