[McIDAS #RHQ-229966]: Missing (/mis-configured?) SHIPBUOY data files

Hi again Kwan,

I decided to check the integrity of the archived SHIPBUOY files available from
the SSEC Data Center, and what I found was disconcerting - lots of the files for
days that bracket the time period you are interested in are either bad/missing
or
something else and others in SSEC SHIPBUOY dataset were created using the TSHP
schema instead of the ISHP schema.

I have attached a file that shows the results of PTLIST access to
the files that SSEC is making available via password-protected ADDE
access.  The command that I ran was:

LOGON xxx xxxx
PTLIST APOINT/SHIPBUOY FORM=FILE SELECT='DAY <juliandate>'

<juliendate> is a Julian date that ranged from 2019001 (January 1, 2019)
until 2020180 (June 28, 2020).

Lines that read like:

     1   SHIP/BUOY data for   11 JAN 2019   ISHP       24  5000     0 2019011
2019011

are ones for which the PTLIST command produced expected/godd output.

Lines that read like:

SHIPBUOY for 20190215 ... bad or missing

were ones where the PTLIST command returned nothing.  The " ... bad or missing"
comment is something I added to the end of the lines that began with:

SHIPBUOY for CCYYMMDD

but had no other PTLIST output.  My interpretation was/is that, if PTLIST
FORM=FILE
can't list out information for the file, extracting data from the same file
will not
work.  My view is supported by trying to list out some information from one of
the
files that appears to be bad.

Here is an example that shows that information can be extracted for "good"
files:

PTLIST APOINT/SHIPBUOY SELECT='DAY 2019/08/10'

Row :      1  Col :      1
DAY         =   2019222 CYD         | TIME        =         0 HMS         |
CMAX        =      3317             | MOD         =         0             |
TYPE        =      SHIP             | IDA         =      VROS             |
IDB         =         7             | HMS         =         0 HMS         |
LAT         =   12.2000 DEG         | LON         =  -45.9000 DEG         |
CA          =         7             | T           =    302.16 K           |
TD          =    300.76 K           | STI         =    299.16 K           |
DIR         =       240 DEG         | SPD         =      12.8 MPS         |
PSL         =    1006.9 MB          | VIS         =       4.0 KM          |
WXP         = _missing_             | SWP         = _missing_             |
SWH         = _missing_             | PSD         = _missing_             |
PSP         =       6.0 SEC         | PSH         =       4.0 M           |
PCP         = _missing_             | PTIM        = _missing_             |
SP10        = _missing_             | SP20        = _missing_             |
SPMX        = _missing_             | LVLW        = _missing_             |
Number of matches found = 1
PTLIST: Done

Here are two examples that show that data can NOT be extracted for a day
that I labeled with " ... bad or missing"

August 27, 2019:

PTLIST APOINT/SHIPBUOY SELECT='DAY 2019/08/27'
PTLIST: No data found matching search conditions
PTLIST: Done

August 28, 2019:

PTLIST APOINT/SHIPBUOY SELECT='DAY 2019/08/28'
PTLIST: No data found matching search conditions
PTLIST: Done

Given the above, I have to assume that viable data decoded into
McIDAS MD file format is not available for a large number of the
days that you are interested in, sorry!

Ticket ID: RHQ-229966
Department: Support McIDAS