[McIDAS #GRR-948941]: GRDLIST to adde.ucar.edu

Hi Robert,

re:
> A follow-up question. Is it possible to have DMGRID create a McIDAS grid file
> of
> model data that is not being ingested from NOAAport...

Yes, but...

re:
> for example, the full GFS
> available that we download from NCEP that contains height/temp/winds up to and
> including 1 hPa.

Here is a snippit from the online documentation for DMGRID:

"DMGRID, which converts GRIB1 messages to McIDAS grid files,
is described below. DMBIN, which files GRIB1 and GRIB2 messages
into GRIB files of the same format, ..."

So, DMGRID can be used to decode GRIB1 messages, and DMBIN
can be used to decode GRIB1 and GRIB2 messages.  I believe that
GFS model output is all in GRIB2 format, not GRIB1.

Have you tried using the IDV for your model needs?  It is very
flexible and supports model output in a variety of formats
like GRIB2, GRIB2, netCDF, etc.

Ticket ID: GRR-948941
Department: Support McIDAS