[McIDAS #MUH-653474]: Any way to use file names with paths instead of numbers?

Hi,

re:
> I think I know the answer to this, but decided to ask just the
> same.
>
> Is there any clever way to use file names instead 4 digit numbers
> for AREA files.

Yes.  Please refer to the McIDAS User's Guide page on the DSSERVE
command.  Alternately, simply run:

HELP DSSERVE

re:
> Also related to this question, can a path be specified without
> having to use the RESOLV.SRV and MCTABLE.TXT?   Is there a way to
> say something like "someDir/AREA1234"?

No, at least not for IMG* commands, etc.

re:
> I understand the code is probably set up in such a way that this
> is not possible, but I don't think I have asked this question
> before, and thought maybe something might have been done to assist
> with this.

McIDAS uses a client-server model for data file access.  The
association between dataset group and descriptor names is instantiated
in the RESOLV.SRV file.  Management of RESOLV.SRV is most typically
done using the DSSERVE command, but, since it is an ASCII text file,
one can edit it directly.

NB: the format of entries in RESOLV.SRV is fixed.  Editing the file
with a text editor opens the possibility of inadvertently creating
or modifying entries so that they do have the necessary format, and
this, in turn, will create problems when trying to access datasets
whose definitions follow the "typo" in RESOLV.SRV.

re:
> I apologize.... I meant to write the MUG group... sorry.

No worries.

Ticket ID: MUH-653474
Department: Support McIDAS