[McIDAS #LZE-711095]: glmtools ABI gridded data with McIDas

Hi,

re:
> I was able to read and plot the data.

Very good.

re:
> There were a few curious messages
> I saw though, but for now, not thinking about that too much.

OK.

re:
> So are you telling me this glm data (discussed below, not direct LCFA
> data) can be overlayed over an image,

Actually, I thought you were wanting to overlay graphics (e.g., plots
and contours) on top of displays of the GLM composites.

re:
> for example combining three AREA files, one for each red, green,blue?

You could do that, yes since all that is required for 3 AREA compositing
is 3 images that have the same projection, resolution and geographical
extents.  I'm curious about what you envision in this area?  Just
curious :-)

re:
> Can transparency be used as well?

Transparency is not available in McIDAS-X.  It and overlaying images
on top of one another are available in McIDAS-V and Unidata's IDV
as are 2D, 3D, and 4D displays of data.

re:
> So using a log scale plot rather than linear is not as easy as just
> specifying a 'log' parameter somewhere?

Correct.  It would be IF a log scaling option had been provided in
the McIDAS-X calibration module for ABIN data.  Adding this capability
is one of the things I commented about in my previous email as being
on my ToDo list.

re:
> Thanks for your support.   Is this support similar to the MUG support or
> a different organization?    I don't know how many questions I am
> allowed to ask.

We, Unidata Program Center/UCAR, are licensed by UW/SSEC/MUG to distribute
our version of McIDAS-X, Unidata McIDAS-X+XCD to the U.S. educational
community.  We are also allowed to let MUG members in good standing
have access to our distribution of McIDAS-X.  Several MUG members have
taken advantage of the additions/modifications that we include in our
distribution of McIDAS-X, and by all accounts they were delighted with
what have provided.

We provide support for the packages we make available (a considerable list),
with the guiding principles of:

- we provide support free-of-charge for the packages that we develop
  and those that we make available

- universities are our core community

  This means that they get support first.

- we provide the same level of support for other users of our packages
  but reserve the right to limit the support IF providing the support
  becomes so burdensome that it interferes with our ability to support
  our primary constituency

  Just so you know, this has essentially never happened.  We have found
  that problems being experienced by non-university community members
  and their solutions routinely are the same as have been/will be experienced
  by university community members, so there is typically no conflict in
  providing support to non-university community members.

- we do not limit the number of questions that can be asked in support of
  software that we develop and/or make available

  We are hopeful, of course, that those asking for help will read the
  documentation we provide for the packages we support and also subscribe
  to relevant email list(s) that we provide for those packages.  We have
  always believe that active, engaged community members are well equipped
  to provide help to other community members.  The key is that we are all
  part of the same community in which helping each other is encouraged.

- we try to leverage the support we provide by making support transactions
  publicly available on the web

  We try to anonymize those transactions to remove any personally identifiable
  information.

- if there are non-university sites that require "special" support, we can
  negotiate with the sites for provision of this support

  This, of course, would likely not be free-of-charge.

re:
> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: LZE-711095