[McIDAS #YPS-212209]: McIDAS-X for Windows 7 v2018.2 distribution

Hi,

re:
> I was recommended by SSEC, to use McIDAS-X to get data easier regarding modis
> data. I
> downloaded McIDAS-X for Windows 7 v2018.2 distribution. I tried to install
> this program
> and do not happen to see and *.exe file.

McIDAS is started by running the script named 'mcidas'.  The script will do
what needs to be done.

re:
> I am running a windows 10 on laptop. How do I
> go about installing this program, could you please assist?

Quite frankly, we have never recommended running the Windows version of
McIDAS-X.
the reasons for this are:

- the Windows distribution does not contain the bugfixes and additions that
  we make for the *nix (Unix/Linux) version of McIDAS-X

- the list of pre-requesites that need to be installed and configured so that
  the program will run correctly is long and finicky

- for your situation, we can not guarantee that the Windows 7 distribution
  of McIDAS-X will run/run correctly under Windows 10

The environment in which I run the full *nix version of McIDAS-X is inside
of a Linux virtual machine (I am currently running CentOS 6.10 and use
the free VMware Player on my Alienware M15 Windows 10 laptop), and this
is my McIDAS development environment).  I can help you get this kind of
environment setup if you are interested.

The other option if you want to run in a Windows only environment is to
use either McIDAS-V (from SSEC) or the IDV (from us/Unidata).  The best
thing about these packages is that they a) run great in a Windows
environment, b) offer 1, 2, 3 and 4D displays, and c) work with data
from more sources than McIDAS-X - McIDAS ADDE servers, Unidata's THREDDS
Data Servers, local-data, etc.

Quite frankly, I am surprised that SSEC did not recommend using McIDAS-V
instead of McIDAS-X.  Did they mention McIDAS-V in your interaction(s)
with them?  If yes, did they say why they did not encourage you to use
McIDAS-V or the IDV?

Ticket ID: YPS-212209
Department: Support McIDAS