[McIDAS #IMZ-190193]: Questions about setting up mcidas-x account on personal computer

Hi,

re:
> I have a quick question about using McIDAS-X on my personal computer: I've
> been trying to read through both SSEC and Unidata's McIDAS information and
> I'm getting a bit confused.

There are some differences in the SSEC and Unidata distributions of McIDAS-X,
but those are mainly in the build, installation and configuration of the
packages... I tried to simplify the procedure for Unidata users.

re:
> Is the SSEC version one you have to have a MUG
> license and the Unidata is a freely distributed version I can download?

Our (Unidata's) license to distribute our version of McIDAS-X, Unidata
McIDAS-X, limits us to only be able to provide the package to educational
sites or SSEC McIDAS User Group (MUG) members in good standing.  We are
not allowed to let individuals, government agencies, commercial concerns,
etc. have access to our distribution.

re:
> And
> if I can download the free version, is it achievable to run on my personal
> computer at home (MacBook Air)?

If this is for personal use, and you are not a member (staff, student) of
an educational institution, then you will need to get access to McIDAS-X
directly from the owners of the package, the Space Science and Engineering
Center (SSEC) at the University of Wisconsin (UW) at Madison.

I wish our license to distribute McIDAS-X was not so restrictive, but,
unfortunately, we must abide by the restrictions imposed on us by
UW/SSEC.

Ticket ID: IMZ-190193
Department: Support McIDAS