[Miscellaneous #FTE-159986]: VISSR/VAS (GOES-7 and earlier) AREA files projection problems

Hi,

re:
> I have download GOES-7 and earlier data in AREA format in NOAA CLASS.
>
> https://www.bou.class.noaa.gov/saa/products/search?sub_id=0&datatype_family=PRE_GVAR
>
> And I found the detailed file structure for AREA in your websites.
>
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/miscdocs/area.html
>
> NAVIGATION SUBROUTINE PACKAGE shows some approach can reproject AREA into
> lat/lon.
>
> Is there any exist tools can do this job?

McIDAS-X can re-project the images into a rectilinear (lat,lon) projection.
Unfortunately, our license to distribute McIDAS-X limits us to users in
the educational community, we are not allowed to give the package to
government agencies, private companies or individuals unless they are
members in good standing of the McIDAS User's Group (MUG) that is operated
by the group that developed McIDAS, the Space Science and Engineering
Center at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, WI.

Do you represent an educational institution in any way (e.g., faculty,
staff, student at a university, etc.)?

It is possible that our IDV application (which is freely available to
all) could do what you want with the images you have downloaded.
To be able to say with confidence that the IDV can do what you need/want,
however, we need to know more about what your objective actually is.
For instance, do you want to create and capture a display of the
images projected into a lat,lon projection, or are you wanting
to save the re-projected output into another AREA file?

Ticket ID: FTE-159986
Department: Support McIDAS