[McIDAS #KGO-649559]: Global Composite Script

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply, all kinds of things were happening here
today...

re:
> I’m actually using the satcomp function in McIDAS-X,

OK.  I've never tried using SATCOMP to produce content to share.

re:
> but I’m curious
> about your alternative solution. My issue is a blank seam I get at the
> dateline.

I am not sure that you would get round a blank seam at the dateline.  I believe
that the way that UW/SSEC avoids this is by creating their global composites
to span -180 to 180.

re:
> Could you provide some sample commands of how you slice and merge the images?

As my previous email said, the global composites are created at SSEC, not
by us, so I don't know exactly what they are doing.

re:
> I am looking at building a product that contains a 4-km spatial resolution,
> so the adde image you mentioned probably wouldn’t cut it.

No, but you could use one of the images as a start in how to create your
composite.  I would use the LWU command to change values in an AREA
file copy of one of the images to make it "think" that it was 4 km, and
then use this base image as the target into which you IMGREMAP into.
This is the sort of thing that I did to create the GOES-East/West composites
of VIS (channel 2), WV (channel 7) and IR (channel 13) composites that
are being distributed in the IDD UNIWISC datastream.  I used LWU to change
values in the navigation to "rotate" a GOES-East image so that its center
is at 105W, and then use it as a IMGREMAP target.

The images I am referring to in the last paragraph are available in
the ADDE datasets:

RTIMAGES/GEWNC02
RTIMAGES/GEWNC07
RTIMAGES/GEWNC13

on the publicly accessible ADDE servers that we maintain:

adde.ssec.wisc.edu
adde.ucar.edu (aka atm.ucar.edu)
lead.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: KGO-649559