[Datastream #LWG-608505]: Difficulties retrieving data

Hi,

re:
> The period in which I had problems was between 2019-07-18 at 09:00
> till 2019-07-19 at 18:00 (UTC).

It would be useful to get information this specific with your original
inquiry.

re:
> When I listed the images Band 1 for FD was available but I could not
> retrieve it. Bands 2 and 4 I had no problems with.

re:
Since we don't keep images this old on our server (goeswest.unidata.ucar.edu),
we can't comment about potential problems with any individual image or band.

The best I can offer is the following:

- the indicated signal strength on our GOES-15 ingest was nominal throughout
  the period you have indicated

- our ingest logs show that there were ingest problems on three occasions
  during this period

  Here are the periods that had more than an occasional error:

  20190718 08:59:00 - 20190718 09:34:02
  20190721 20:53:45 - 20190721 20:54:05
  20190722 00:41:49 - 20190722 00:42:00

  Our ingest logs do not indicate any serious (non-occasional) errors outside
  of these periods.

  The cause of the ingest problems can not be pinpointed from the log files
  we have.  It is likely, however, that some of the problems were caused
  from electrical activity associated with large thunderstorms that were
  in the area.

re:
> Since 2019-07-19 at 18:00 (UTC), everything is back to normal.

OK.

> Please note that I am not saying that the problem was yours. I am
> just trying to find out what the problem was.

OK.

Comment:

- since our main focus is ingest of the primary U.S. operational satellites
  (GOES-16 (East) and GOES-17 (West)), we are spending less time on our
  GOES-15 and GOES-14 (this satellite is turned on by NOAA occasionally
  for testing) activities

  Given this, it would be a wise for you to consider transitioning from use
  of GOES-15 to GOES-17 data.

Ticket ID: LWG-608505
Department: Support McIDAS