[McIDAS #FFB-510199]: Error updating McIDAS to v2018c

Hi Mike,

I was going to close the inquiry on our side, but I figured that I would
respond to one thing before doing so:

re:
> I see, all very interesting to know.  For us here, we constantly have
> bandwidth concerns so NOAAPort is always preferred over internet data
> sources.  Given that, we'd probably want to stick with those tiles for the
> time being.  And what we've done to speed up the reading of this data with
> McIDAS is to remove the L2 data on an hourly basis.  Once we're done
> visualizing a set that comes in we're done with it, so deleting the data so
> quickly is perfectly acceptable to us. What takes the longest has always
> seemed to be IMGREMAP operations.  I'm always keen on finding ways to speed
> things up so this is all great to know, but NOAAPort is usually strongly
> preferred around here.

A couple of comments:

- the SCMI ADDE servers are fast enough when dealing with a small number
  of files in the dataset being served, but, since they were written
  assuming that there was/is no useful information in the names of the
  files in the dataset, they have to open each file and read the
  information needed to produce a sorted list, etc

  For the 'current' sets we maintain for each of the NOAAPort products, the
overhead
  of opening each file was very large, so serving the data causes a lot of
  system overhead.  This is significant given that our data servers are all
  pretty heavily loaded, and the load continues to climb.

- I can let you have the copy of goes-restitch.py in I made minor modifications
  to change the output name to be GOES-R mission standard compliant

  I am not finished with my modifications to this copy of goes-restitch.py,
  so I can't send it to you now.

- the new servers should not have any measurable effect for how fast your
  IMGREMAPs run given that your datasets have few elements

- you can continue to rely on your NOAAPort ingest and take advantage of
  the new server as soon as:

  - it is released
  - you change the names of the files you are saving
  - change/tweak your ADDE dataset definitions

  Given my own experience on lead.unidata.ucar.edu, the changes are
  quickly implemented and I have seen no side effects (yet).

Ticket ID: FFB-510199
Department: Support McIDAS