[McIDAS #GBO-964406]: Fwd: IR color table

Hi Carol,

re:
> Do you have a McIDAS color table for IR that would show 0 to -20 C or 273
> to 253 K? If so, could you share it with me?

The Unidata McIDAS-X distribution comes with a large set of image
enhancements, so there may be one that would suit your needs.  However,
since the mapping of temperature to brightness is instrument dependent,
it may be better to craft an enhancement that best shows what it is you
want to show.  I have found that the color table editor in the IDV/McV
is very handy for exploring how to colorize images to highlight features,
and then translate the result back into a McIDAS enhancement table for
every day use.

Questions:

- which satellite and band are you wanting to use?

- are you wanting a color enhancement, or a gray scale one?

re:
> There's an icing project that's happening in midwest for the next month or
> so, and they would prefer an IR color table to show shallow, icing clouds.

Interesting.

re:
> No worries if you don't have one available, I just figured I would ask.

I just looked through the list of enhancements included with Unidata
McIDAS-X, and the enhancements that may be useful to you are:

DD.ET           - Snow Production Zone IR Curve: centered on -20C (gray)
DDC.ET          - Snow Production Zone IR Curve: centered on -20C (color)

For reference, the file in the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution that
contains a list of the enhancements with a terse explanation is EU.CORE.
This ASCII file gets installed in the ~mcidas/data directory.

If none of the enhancements meet your needs, we could work together
to make one.

One last thing: Unidata McIDAS-X v2018a is available in the McIDAS
section of the Downloads page on the Unidata web site.  This version
contains all SSEC McIDAS-X and -XCD v2018.1/2 mods plus Unidata
bugfixes and additions.

Ticket ID: GBO-964406
Department: Support McIDAS