[McIDAS #VQU-472558]: imgcopy UNIT parameter

Hi Carol,

re: Meteosat-11 file for testing
> Ok sounds good. I made a new directory in /home/mcidas.

Thanks.

re:
> First I got an old meteosat-11 file now located in /home/mcidas/meteo on
> typhoon called meteosat-11.201808141230.01V.area. Then I ran the following
> imgremap command to get the projection to mercator.
>
> imgremap.k MYDATA/METEOTEST.1 MYDATA/METEO.1 LATLON=0 -35 SIZE=3000 3000
> RES=1 PRO=MERC SSIZE=ALL

The resulting image saved in MYDATA/METEO.1 will only have RAW and BRIT
calibrations.  For instance:

- I created an ADDE dataset called METEO/REMAP and defined its sole
  content to be /home/mcidas/meteo/meteosat-11.remap.area

- here is a FORM=ALL IMGLISTing for this image:

51 typhoon:/h/eol/yoksas/mcidas/data-> imglist.k METEO/REMAP FORM=ALL
Image file directory listing for:METEO/REMAP
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center      Res (km)   Image_Size
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon    Lat   Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ----  ----- ----- ------------
   1  METEOSAT11    14 AUG 18226  12:30:00     0  -35
   Band: 1    0.6 um VIS Cloud and Surface Features     1.00  1.00  3000 x 3000
     proj:    0 created: 2018339 215157  memo: MSG data from XRIT V2
     type:VISR     cal type:BRIT
     offsets:  data=     768 navigation=  256 calibration=    0 auxiliary=    0
     doc length:   0   cal length:   0   lev length:   0 PREFIX=   0
     valcod:          0 zcor:  1 avg-smp: N
     start yyddd: 2018226  start time:123000  start scan:    0
     lcor: 8501  ecor:  8501  bytes per pixel: 1  ss:354
     Resolution Factors (base=1):   Line=    1.0   Element=    1.0
imglist.k: done

  The 'type' being VISR means that the pixels are 1-byte values with the
  'cal type' of BRIT.

- here is an IMGPROBE of this image at its center point:

52 typhoon:/h/eol/yoksas/mcidas/data-> imgprobe.k LIST POINT DAT=METEO/REMAP
LAT=0 -35 MODE=N

     Image Name           Day      Nominal Time   Scan Time    Band
  ----------------      -------    ------------   ---------    ----
  METEO/REMAP.0       14 Aug 18226   12:30:00      12:31:15       1

                        File     Nominal  Image     RAW         BRIT
       Lat/Lon      Line/Element  Line/Element
 0:00:00 /-34:59:28   1499/ 1498   10000/ 9999            118         118

IMGPROBE: Done

  IMGPROBE shows that the only valid calibration units for the remapped
  image are RAW and BRIT, and in this case RAW and BRIT are the same
  since the remapped image is of type VISR which means 1-byte.

re:
> I have the remaped area file in /home/mcidas/meteo on typhoon and I renamed
> it to meteosat-11.remap.area. Then I ran the imgcopy, and I got the
> following output.
>
> xtuser@lightning6:/mnt/satellite/mcidas$ imgcopy.k MYDATA/METEO.1
> MYDATA/NCDF.1 UNIT=REFL SIZE=SAME
> imgcopy.k: done
> xtuser@lightning6:/mnt/satellite/mcidas$ ls -l NCDF*
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 xtuser terascan 108002516 Dec  5 14:52 NCDF0001.nc
>
> You can see in the 'ls -l NCDF*' that the file was modified today, so the
> command doesn't fail, but the new file isn't created.
>
> Let me know if you have issues accessing the files on typhoon or if you
> have questions.

The reason that the UNIT=REFL keyword specification on the IMGCOPY command
failed is that the image you are copying from does not have a valid
REFL calibration.  If, on the other hand, you do an IMGCOPY from your
original image the UNIT=REFL keyword will work as the original image
has a valid REFL calibration.

re:
> Thanks again for your help with this!

If remapping is crucial for your workflow, then I would try using
REMAP2 instead of IMGREMAP.  I must warn you, however, that REMAP2
is not a core McIDAS-X routine, rather it is an XRD (X Research
and Development) routine, and XRD routines come with the "big boy warranty"
which means that the routine has not been fully tested and verified to
work correctly in all cases, so end-users mileage may vary.

Ticket ID: VQU-472558
Department: Support McIDAS