[McIDAS #WML-273884]: GLMDISP in v2018

Hi Mike,

re:
> I've been using v2018 on my test machine as we've been developing GOES-17
> visualizations behind the scenes after its move.  First I'd like to report
> that this version has been performing well when it comes to making the
> imagery, haven't met any unexpected surprises or anything.  Thank you again
> for letting me work with an early copy.

Excellent, and I apologize for not officially releasing Unidata McIDAS v2018.
It seems that every week I've been tweaking/adding things, and it never seemed
ready. :-(

re:
> My question is about the revamped GLMDISP command.  I know it's changed
> since v2017, and mostly for the better with regards to labeling features.

I was advised by SSEC that changes to the GLM commands should be expected
as new things are added and bugs/deficiencies are fixed.

re:
> But one thing that went away was the ability to control the size of the
> symbol.  It used to be that I could include "LOC=+ 1 8" in the command and
> that would get passed along to PTDISP and set the size, to 8 in this
> example.  But now the size parameter doesn't seem to matter, and the
> symbols are much smaller.  Do you know if there is a way to change the
> symbol size?

I will need to look into the code to answer this.  Hopefully, I can send
you something concrete either this weekend or early next week.

re:
> Also on the topic of GLM, I don't know if you're the right person to ask
> but I noticed GLM for GOES-17 isn't coming over the DIFAX LDM feed from
> idd.unidata.ucar.edu.  Do you know if there are plans to add it there?

I am the correct person to ask :-)

No GOES-17 products are being relayed in the IDD yet.  The reason is that
we honoring NOAA's request/directive to not redistribute the data until
it has been "blessed" (in spite of their distributing GOES-17 ABI imagery
in NOAAPort).  As soon as we get notification from NOAA that is OK to
distribute GOES-17 products (this is coming up sometime in the beginning
of December), I will flip the switch and all of the GOES-17 products
being ingested in the GRB will be added to the SATELLITE (aka DIFAX)
IDD feed.  At the same time, the ABI images and GLM L2 products will
become available via ADDE and TDS on two of our data servers,
atm.ucar.edu and lead.unidata.ucar.edu.

re:
> Thank you,

No worries.