[McIDAS #JZF-858206]: Mcidas 2018 for GOES-17

Hi Fred,

re:
> I am working on the software to display GOES-17 data when it becomes
> operational. I believe I need the 2018 version of Mcidas.

Correct.

re:
> When I copy
> a GOES-17 image from NPGOESS to my local computer and try to display it
> I get the message "units requested are not available for this image". I
> believe that I need the 2018 version of Mcidas to get the GOES-17
> calibration data.

Again, correct.

re:
> I have asked Chris Herbster to install the 2018
> version of Mcidas, but he says that the 2017 is the latest version at
> Unidata. The 2018 version is at SSEC, but we need you to make it
> available to Unidata users. Is there any problem in making it available?

I had planned on releasing Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD v2018 in the summer,
but one thing or another prevented me from making it available. The
latest is code modifications to the GINI server I wrote some years
back that are need to be checked in before COB this Friday, November 16.

In order to get you/ERAU working correctly, I put the original target
Unidata McIDAS-X v2018 release out on anonymous FTP so you and/or Chris
can download and install it:

machine:   xxxxx
user:      xxxxx
pass:      xxxxx
directory: pub/mcidas/2018
files:     mcidasx2018.tar.gz, mcunpack

College of DuPage has been using this release with NOAAPort delivered
GOES-17 ABI imagery for some time, so your installation and use should
go smoothly.

Please let me know when you and/or Chris have downloaded the files so
I can delete them.

re:
> Also, when do you plan on having the GOES-17 data available on RTGOESS?

We will be repointing our satellite dish at the Mesa Lab at the new
GOES-West slot this coming Thursday.  Hopefully, the repointing will
go smoothly, and data will start flowing.  As soon as the data is
being received correctly, we will add it to the existing SATELLITE
(aka DIFAX) IDD feed, and that, in turn, will start populating the
directory hierarchy that has already been configured for the ADDE
data set group RTGOESS on both lead.unidata.ucar.edu and atm.ucar.edu.

Ticket ID: JZF-858206
Department: Support McIDAS