[McIDAS #CLA-376903]: GLM plots

Hi Carol,

re:
> I'm trying to plot GLM data over a 15 minute period. I'm currently in
> Argentina for the RELAMPAGO project, so we're using the full disk imagery
> every 15 minutes. I would like to plot the the GLM data over a 15 minute
> period where every 5 minute interval is a different color.

OK, I understand.  Do you want the time interval for the GLM plot to
start at the time of the satellite image; bracket the satellite image
time, or end at the satellite image time?

Here is an example that will plot 3-5 minute intervals starting with
using the satellite time as the start:

DATALOC ADD RTGOESR ATM.UCAR.EDU            <- I'm pointing at on of
                                               our ADDE servers

IMGDISP RTGOESR/FDC13 LATLON=0 75 PLACE=C MAG=-6 -6 BAND= X EU=IMAGE SU=X ALL=
11 SF=YES REFRESH='EG GRA=(GRA);MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL MCOLOR=1 WIDTH=1
GRA=(GRA);BAR (GRA) SU=X X COL=7 ORIENT=VER'

GLMDISP X 11 DAT=RTGOESR/GLMGROUP TIME=IMA TDAY=CAL DAY=IMA NAV=11 INC=15 5

Comments:

- the Full Disk channel 13 GOES-16 image is displayed in frame 11

- this GLMDISP invocation specifies that the plotting will be done in frame 11,
  and it sets the TIME= value to be that stored in the frame directory
  from the IMGDISP command

  The TIME= value is then the image time that would be listed in:

  IMGLIST RTGOESR/FDC13

- the time range (trange) is set in the INC= keyword as 15 minutes, and the
  time step (tstep) is set to 5 minutes

To get the other examples, you would have to figure out the beginning
and ending times for your interval and specify both in the TIME= keyword.

re:
> Right now, I'm trying to plot something using this.
>
> glmdisp.k TYPE=GROUP DAY=18307 TIME=19:35 INC=5 COLOR=6 TOPLABEL= X X X X
> 12 DATASET="RTGOESR/GLMGROUP"
> glmdisp.k TYPE=GROUP DAY=18307 TIME=19:40 INC=5 COLOR=3 TOPLABEL= X X X X
> 12 DATASET="RTGOESR/GLMGROUP"
> glmdisp.k TYPE=GROUP TIME=IMA INC=5 COLOR=5 TOPLABEL= X X X X 12
> DATASET=RTGOESR/GLMGROUP"

OK.

> Do you think there is something wrong with the TIME and DAY format?

No.

re:
> I'm getting a PTDISP: No records match specified search conditions for the
> first 2 glmdisp.

Comment(s)/question(s):

- what ADDE server are you pointing at for RTGOESR?

  I ask because if you are pointing at lead.unidata.ucar.edu, all bets may
  be off since the machine was having problems yesterday (DAY=18307).

  If you are pointing at the EOL ADDE server, I am not sure what to say
  other than I assume that the GLM data for yesterday should be good.

  I _can_ say that the GLM data for today served off of atm.ucar.edu
  looks good to me.

- (this may seem silly, but I have to say) if you want to overlay
  time matched GLM lightning group data over an image (true?),
  it would be simplest to let McIDAS pickup the image time from
  the frame directory that is updated when the image is displayed
  using IMGDISP

Please give my example a try and let me know your results.

Ticket ID: CLA-376903
Department: Support McIDAS