[McIDAS #TKV-106190]: McIDAS-X and GLM data

Hi Mike,

This is a quick note to let you know that we had a conference call with
Eric Bruning yesterday to discuss a variety of topics related to his
creation of supplemental data for GRB GLM data (e.g., structure of the
files; use of Docker containers; and distribution of the products
in the IDD).  Eric sent us a link to some sample data files, and we
will be iterating with him on their internal structure so that the
effort of adding support for them in McIDAS will be more straightforward.

That's all for now...

Mike previously wrote:
> I'm writing to ask about McIDAS's ability to visualize GLM data from
> GOES-16, more specifically some supplemental data that is beginning to make
> the rounds.
>
> Currently we are plotting the point data using the GLMDISP command, using
> GLM data supplied over the repurposed DIFAX LDM feed.  This command doesn't
> allow for much customization, but it seemed to be the best we could do for
> the time being.
>
> Dr. Eric Bruning from Texas Tech University (CC'd) has reached out to us to
> inquire about adding supplemental GLM data visualizations to our page.  Dr.
> Bruning was recently awarded a 2018 Unidata Equipment Award for the purpose
> of developing these additional GLM products (his proposal is linked below).
> We would like to be able to accommodate his request as we feel these
> products would make a great addition to our satellite page, and more so to
> the public meteorology community.
>
> After some discussion, we agreed that the most ideal approach would be to
> visualize this data with McIDAS, since that's how we visualize almost all
> of our other GOES-16 products.  Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting
> McIDAS to read the data.  It's in NetCDF format, and Dr. Bruning is very
> willing to adjust the metadata as required.  The problem is I'm not
> entirely sure what would need to happen, on my end or his, to make
> everything work.  We were hoping you would be able to shed some light on
> this for us, do you know how I could get McIDAS to read this data?  The end
> goal would be to make images from it that match our (remapped) ABI images.
>
> Examples of the data & metadata can be supplied upon request.
>
> Here is the project that creates the NetCDF data in question:
> https://github.com/deeplycloudy/glmtools
>
> And here is Dr. Bruning's Equipment Award proposal:
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/community/equipaward/EquipmentAwards/2018/Texas%20Tech%20University.pdf
>
> Thank you for any insight you can provide.
>
> -Mike

Ticket ID: TKV-106190
Department: Support McIDAS